Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Super Beerds Bash Bros.

Tuesday was the inevitable first gathering of the bearded competitors. But first! We once again roamed around downtown Anchorage and decided to stop and eat lunch at a place called Snow Goose Restaurant and Sleeping Lady Brewery. There I had a caribou burger (more or less a dry regular burger) and some fantastic brews.


Now I must make a note about the beer here. I had possibly the best beer of my recent life here. It was called John Henry Oatmeal Stout. After tasting it, I almost didn't want to keep drinking it just to preserve it for all time. I now know how the ancient Egyptians felt about their pharaohs. Here I was, a lowly pyramid building slave and I had found my ever-loving pharaoh that I wanted to mummify. At the brewery I also had two more beers called Fish-On! IPA and Braveheart Scottish Ale. Here they are in order of mentioning.



After lunch we wandered around once again and made our way home to compose ourselves for the first meeting of facial wonders. We met up with about eight of them and carpooled over to the Wildberry place that we perused on Monday. Apparently there was some kind of Chamber of Commerce meeting going on and they paraded us in as a promotional tool. I don't like being used, but they applauded us and gave us beer so I was satiated.

Next we went to the Midnight Sun Brewery (somewhat later than expected due to our beer stopover prior) for a tour (which we missed) and tasting.


The beer was delicious and I had several, but their best ones that I had were the Kodiak Brown Ale and the SonofaBerserker. I also had several higher content ones with names like Obliteration IV and Meltdown.

We mingled among the bearded folk and everyone was very congenial. Here's Neal from Alaska, who made me an honorary Alaskan, and Paul from Australia with the handlebar.


I talked to several people, but Ed here was a standout because he originally came from Arcadia and graduated high school in '66, but now lives up here. He also drives an old beat up orange BMW and is a rather haphazard driver. He reminds me of Randy Main.

It was good to meet the guys and find out where they're from and compare bearded tales of wonder and amazement.

Paul, Antony (from Scarborough UK), and I decided to do our own makeshift pub crawl around downtown and managed to hit up five different bars with the help of some locals. We lost Antony along the way, but I'm assuming he's alive.

Next, how much BBQ food can a collection of the world's finest beards get stuck in their facial hair.

4 comments:

  1. Randy Main?! Scary thought. I hope you weren't stuck in his car on your way over. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm a friend of Jay's and a native Anchoragite. As I see you enjoy the finer brewed things in life, I have to recommend that you try out the Moose's Tooth - excellent beer and way excellent pizza. Enjoy your trip, and good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. graciously no. we rode with Bob, the organizer and SCKABMC president on the way down. He's on the far left of the group pic. Although when Ed rolled up to the rendezvous his car screeched to a halt and he got out asking, "is this where all the beer and beard guys are meeting?" What an entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After you get back from Alaska you should just have a beer blog.
    IB

    ReplyDelete