Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Roll for the Beard to move South

Monday.
We awoke rather early (my internal and external clocks are all awhack) and rented a car and headed down the uncomplicated Alaskan Highway 1 to Seward. The drive had breathtaking views of mountains looming over the mud flats.

We stopped along the way at Exit Glacier and it was amazing. It may be rapidly receding, but damn, that thing is still a great sight.

The drive down was pretty scenic and we made it to Seward in a matter of hours (stopping over to stretch, eat, etc.) Once in Seward there was not much to do that did not involve boating or killing animals so we wandered around and decided to have a quick bite to eat at Red's Food Wagon. A bus turned food joint.

Once we returned to Anchorage we went to the Alaska Wildberry Park and saw this chocolate waterfall that upon seeing Mom declared she would like to stick her head in it. I laughed it off, but ended up holding her back when she fell into a trance and started chanting "Kali Ma..."


After deciding not to have dinner there we went to a place called Gwennie's and had a good ol' family dinner with abundantly large portions. I had to try their Alaskan Beer sampler and enjoyed the Amber out of the three. It was here that I discovered that there's an Alaskan Stout that's only in a bottle. I was going to have it, but the food filled me to the brim.


We returned back to home base a bit tired from driving so much, but it was well worth it. And that, my friends, was Monday.

1 comment:

  1. funny, I had the same reaction as Mom when I saw that chocolate waterfall....

    ReplyDelete